We've all been there...
Negotiating is never easy. Even the best trained and most experienced of us will make mistakes from time to time. Such is life.
We've blogged about the importance of preparation before negotiating, but just as important is taking time to reflect after your negotiation has ended. Here's a quick checklist to help your thinking:
- Did I spend enough time preparing?
- Did I understand the other party's wants and needs well?
- Did I define my own objectives and did I have a clear mandate to achieve them?
- Did I ask enough questions?
- Were there any other factors I could have brought into to the negotiation that would have helped me reach my objectives?
- If I made concessions, what did I get in return?
- If I could start again, what would I do differently?
- What training and development do I need to improve my performance
For help and advice on any aspect of negotiation, please do get in touch.